Savory Oatmeal with Italian Flavours
Oatmeal is popular as a breakfast meal with sweet flavours and additions such as fruit. But you are missing out if you have never tried a savory version – it is just as delicious and opens up a world of versatility and flavour combinations to use with this nutritious wholegrain.
In this quick and easy dish, oats are combined with red lentils which melt down to blend perfectly and offer an extra source of protein. Enjoy this recipe for any meal of the day – especially post strength training workout or for breakfast to supercharge your day!
Savory Oatmeal Recipe
Ready In: 20-30 minutes
*1/3 cup rolled oats
*¼ cup split red lentils
*1 ¾ cup vegetable broth
*Sprinkle of garlic powder and onion powder
*½ cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
*7 kalamata olives, halved
*Small handful fresh basil
*Few slices fresh avocado
*Salt and black pepper to taste
*Chili flakes (optional)
- Place the oats and lentils with the broth, onion and garlic powder in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then cover/half cover and reduce to a gentle simmer. Stir frequently to prevent sticking. The red lentils will need a little longer than the oats to cook should be completely blended in with the oats when done – add a little more water if it gets too dry and the lentils are not ready.
- Meanwhile slice the tomatoes in half, sprinkle with a little salt and place under the grill to cook.
- Prepare the other toppings.
- When the oat and lentil mixture is done, taste and add extra seasoning if necessary. Scoop into a bowl. Top with the tomatoes, olives, basil, and avocado.
- Enjoy your savory oatmeal with Italian flavours!
If you love the sound of this dish, here is our recipe directory for access to all our recipes on our website.